Monday, October 7, 2013

God of Carnage

What other way is better to spend a Thursday night than at a play at the Merrimack Repertory Theater? I cannot think of one. The play, God of Carnage, is a magnificent work about 2 sets of parents trying to resolve a situation between their two sons that spirals incredibly out of control. It is a satire about the maturity level of children compared to parents. Also, it reveals the facades that many parents and adults wear so that they do not seem primitive and uneducated to others.
I would like to take this paragraph to sincerely apologize to Emily Majeski. You're probably wondering why are you apologizing to Emily Majeski? Well, Emily and I had planned to walk to the theater from Fox Hall together. However, I had to run upstairs to my room to get some cough drops, so I had seen Emily on my way up and told her I'd be back down soon. When I came back downstairs, it didn't occur to me that she would be waiting in the lobby...  I went outside, where I was meeting up with my other friend, Briana, who was walking with us. We waited outside for 10 minutes and looked around outside when we finally concluded that she must have found someone else to walk with or took the bus. I didn't have her phone number at this point so I wasn't able to text her. Once Briana and I arrived at the theater, we realized that Emily wasn't there. We thought we just didn't see her in the crowd. Then we saw Emily come in and waved her over. She had been waiting in the lobby inside Fox Hall the entire time. Needless to say, I felt terrible! Emily, being the forgiving fantastic person she is, forgave me. And that is why I sincerely want to apologize to Emily. This is a picture of me, Emily, Briana, and another honors student outside of the Merrimack Repertory Theater.
Now, the play was excellently cast and written. At the start of the play, both sets of parents were discussing how to resolve a situation between there sons, in which one son had his two teeth knocked out by the other. The parents were trying to be formal and civil with each other when they tried to reach  an agreement like mature adults are supposed to. However, as the play unfolded, the parents unraveled as well as their marriages. The once proper and well behaved parents were non-existent anymore at the play's end. The parents argued and each other took each other's side. For example, the two wives ganged up against the two husbands and vice versa. They formed and broke alliances over and over again. Each parent was looking out for themselves. One father was a lawyer and constantly on his phone, and trying to cover up reports of the very bad effects of a prescription drug. One would expect a lawyer to be a man of the law, but this man was not. This shows how our higher expectations and standards of a lawyer can warp our minds into thinking that he is a good man, even though he wasn't. Also, the lawyer father was discourteous by always picking up his cellphone and having a conversation in the middle of the room. Finally, when the parents had unraveled, his wife took his phone and threw it in a vase of flowers and water. The father was so upset that her pouted like a child about the loss of his phone. When his wife destroyed his phone it demonstrated the difference from when she was wearing her facade of properness to how barbaric and uncivilized she was when she was no longer acting like a sophisticated and mature adult, but rather being her own true self. The father acting like a child reinforces the point that adults are no more mature than children, but instead that they know how a civilized society expects them to act so that what they do, until they relax and go back to their basic instincts. If all the expectations of adults to be the bigger person and role models were taken away then we as a civilization would return to a barbaric and primitive state.
God of carnage was a fantastic play about the irony between the maturity levels of parents versus children. I would recommend this play to anyone. It was filled with comedy and drama. Surprisingly enough I enjoyed the play more than I had originally expected to. So if you have no plans on a Thursday, i would suggest you try and see this play or another play performed by the Merrimack Repertory Theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment